• Eran – NPC
Quests In Progress
- Find the items needed to remove Groot’s curse.
- Find out what happened to Arvik Zaltos.
- Find and apprehend Darwa Dalion.
- Making Friends or Enemies.
+40gp party first week retainer for search for Arvik
Timeline of Events
Rova the 7th
○ Groot had struck up a conversation with the local blacksmith, one Das Korvut. Das mentioned something about a shipment of iron coming from Riddleport that seemed to be running a little late. He had ordered the iron because business had been rather brisk as of late.
○ Groot also talked with a merchant very briefly, by the name of Halastar Trask. Trask needed guards for his caravan trip to Ravenmoor. It would be for there and back. He said he would like to meet the rest of the group on the morrow and left.
○ Groot and Eran continued to lounge and drink.
○ Meanwhile, Mari was busy getting herself in trouble. A rather large man entered the bar and bumped in to her saying she should watch where she was standing. She caused some beer to be poured on his head prompting a bar fight that lasted for only a brief amount of time as Morfear pulled a weapon and attacked one of the men’s accomplices. The group quickly left after Grindle ordered them out.
○ Getting back to the Black Stag, they talked briefly with Groot and Eran before everyone took to their beds.
Rova the 8th
○ Waking in the morning, the group learned they had a summons to the town council scheduled for that afternoon. Not sure what they had done wrong, they seemed a bit concerned.
○ This prompted them to head over to the temple and see what the priest had discovered (and maybe atone for any misdeeds ;))
○ Again they met Nualia, and Ari tried to make friends with her. She led them to Ezakien and then was excused to her morning prayers.
○ Ezakien questioned if they had disturbed the dead and finally cornered Groot about opening sarcophagi as the curse he had acquired was from an ancient sun-god religion dedicated to Mithras and was reserved for would be grave-robbers.
○ Convinced they had good intentions, Ezakien revealed that the curse itself would slowly make Groot more and more susceptible to sunlight to the point where being out in it too long would kill him. But there was hope, he could reverse the curse, but required four items, a holy symbol to Mithras, a black moss called Midnight Moss, a strand of Dark Spidersilk, and a curshed mineral called Shadovar Salt.
○ Unfortunately, Ezakien didn’t know where they could get these items, but directed them to the local herbalist, Hannah Verelin.
○ After instructing them to atone for any mis-deeds, the group headed out .
○ They decided they still had time to explore more of the Old Light before their meeting with the council and headed to Brodert’s place.
○ He mentioned he had found out only that the script from the obelisk mentioned something about a blood moon when he was asked if he had made any progress.
○ They gather up Brodert and took him to the room below the ruins where he started to transcribe runes and make rubbings are various carvings. Morfear, Groot, and a couple others watched over him while Ari, Mari, and Adran scaled the outside of the tower.
○ Reaching the top of the tower, they lowered Adran in to the inside where a large bit of the tower had fallen in. Unfortunately, Ari lost his grip and Adran dropped the last fifteen feet in to the rubble.
○ Meanwhile, Morfear had been checking out the stability of the room and was warning everyone to get back when a portion of the wall in the center chamber gave way (due to the falling form of Adran above) demolishing the door in to the hall where Brodert was currently transcribing.
○ Not knowing whether Brodert was alive or dead, Ari, Mari, and Adran quickly descended back down. Ari and Mari then scaled the ropes they had left previously to get back to the other entrance inside.
○ Inside, they discovered a very groggy Brodert in the rubble. They escorted him out (and he got some more drawings and rubbings) and then lowered him to the bottom of the cliff where they accidentally dropped him again, knocking him out cold.
○ Mari carried him back up and Morfear stabilized the man. They took him back to his home and set him up in front of a fire while he continued to look at his new drawings and rubbings. As they left, they overheard him mumbling about runes and Thassilon.
○ Feeling they had gotten in enough trouble, the group headed to the Town Hall for their meeting with the Council.
○ Arriving a little early, they were met by a guard who took them in to the main council chamber. Inside, the four member council sat at one end as they approached.
○ To their relief, the council wanted to thank them for their service to the city and the council itself for helping them drive away Arvik during the botched hanging.
○ They mentioned that Arvik seemed more connected to the area as he seemed to be involved in the dragon attack on Scarnetti Hall.
○ Kendra then broached the subject of them looking in to whether or not Arvik was truly dead and if not if they could discover his whereabouts.
○ Mari talked about setting up a business in town and asked about taxes and property. Kendra mentioned she could properly grease some wheels.
○ Ari mentioned that Arvik might be quite powerful and also mentioned about creating a mercenary service. He was curious about the amount of time this might take.
○ Kendra mentioned a retainer and reporting to Jaspar.
○ Kendra mentioned about the items from the Rusty Dragon.
○ Kendra then took them to the back and discussed with them that she had reason to believe that someone in Sandpoint might be in collusion with Arvik as he was recommended by a local herbalist named Darwa Dalion.
○ Mari mentioned the name Darwa was found in the necromancer tower.
○ Darwa was brought here by Titus Scarnetti and so that is why she didn’t want to discuss this in front of the rest of the council.
○ Mention that there is a reward for Darwa capture and mentions that Darwa was very helpful.
○ Mari and the group share what they have currently found about the necromancer paraphernalia in the Old Light with the mayor.
○ She shows them the items from the room, a leather bound book, an ornate dagger and bowl, a piece of stone with Thassilonian runes, and lastly a map of the region with marked locations and a different language than they have seen before.
○ They check the various items for magic and discover the book to be steeped in necromantic magic. The dagger and the bowl look a little rusty, but not really very magically.
○ Mari bleeds on the stone and nothing happens. Mari also opens the book to the first page which shows what looks like a magical circle of some sort and is written in an unknown language. The further she flips through the book, the colder her hands become and the room seems to get darker and darker. When she closes the book, everyone feels like a weight has been lifted.
○ Ari asks about checking his room out in the Rusty Dragon. Kendra agrees to help them get in to the room.
○ Ari asked about more altars and Kendra doesn’t know anything else about that.
○ They head out and take the evidence with them as well as the first weeks retainer.
○ After talking with the council, they head back to the Inn to discuss how they want to proceed.
○ After that discussion, Ari wanted to replace the ropes used on the Old Light and headed to the local general store.
○ Talking with the owner, one Ven Vinder, Ven would provide a better price on the ropes if the adventurers would take care of a small rat problem for him.
○ After very little haggling on the adventurers part (they really wanted to fight something it seems), Ven directed them downstairs in to the basement.
○ They noticed a few small rats scurry from their light as they entered the basement. There were several piles of crates and barrels in various parts of the basement.
○ Brandis used his elemental spirit to look at a portion of the basement and notices some rats, but not a lot, so the group headed to the corner and that’s when the swarm struck.
○ What they had been told was a small number of rats turned into a huge swarm that they quickly eradicated.
○ However, during the battle, they had noticed several rats come out of a small hole near some crates. Moving the crates, they noticed that they wall itself looked like it could be moved. Slowly opening it revealed a set of stairs that led down about five feet to a tunnel.
○ Where does this tunnel lead? Is it part of the tunnel system that seems to be implied by the map discovered in the Old Light? Find out next time as the adventurers head down in to the tunnels…