• Eran – NPC
Quests In Progress
• Figure out who is stealing from the Sandpoint Merchant League.
• Find evidence of the Sandpoint Devil.
• Find the items needed to remove Groot’s curse.
• Find out what happened to Arvik Zaltos.
• Track down the missing iron from Corlac’s destroyed caravan.
• Devastation of Thunder Hollow
+ Cask of beer
+ platinum flagon
+ potion of invisibility
+ Derwin’s Hammer
Timeline of Events
Lamashan the 4th, 4701AR
• Early Afternoon
○ As the rumbling sounds from the east fade away, our heroes look to one another to decide what to do next.
○ Groot wants to look at different doors while Ari looks at the circle the necromancer was engraving. He looks to Eran to figure out whether it was actually going to hold up anything or not. Eran determines it is magical.
○ Ari then discusses the possibility of the necromancer returning with reinforcements and not sticking around for too long.
○ He suggests talking with Thord and Grit about how to get to the upper level.
○ As Ari is about to head back down the hall to get Thord, he finds Thord running in to the room. He slows to a stop as he says, “what in the tarnation? What are ye guys doin’, ye igits? It sounds like you knocked down half the floor.”
○ Ari says, “one of the necromancers ran off down that way. We didn’t do anything.” At the same time as Morfear is saying, “we didn’t do anything…”
○ Thord looks a little concerned, and says, “you guys are igits.”
○ Ari asks Thord if there is a way to get to the upper level quickly, so they can hide up there.
○ At the same time, Groot opens one of the doors on the north. He finds an L-shaped bench with dwarvish runes chiseled in to the side of the bench. As Ari continues to talk with Thord, Morfear heads over and looks in the room.
○ Thord tells Ari, “sure, I can take you to where you can go up, but if what you say is true, then most likely you won’t be able to get up there.” Ari asks what he thinks might have happened. Thord responds, “if he collapsed that half of the floor, then he collapsed the only entrance to upstairs.”
○ Ari looks disappointed and then asks if there is some other way to get up there other than going back outside. Thord says it “depends on the amount of destructin down there.”
○ Ari says will you come with us as Thord says, “let’s go.” He starts heading towards the eastern exit from the room.
○ Meanwhile, Morfear reads the runes and tries to determine if things are magical. He determines the runes say Let the dead rest without worry and that there is a moderate ambient abjuration throughout the room.
○ Ari says, “let’s go Groot, there are more doors over here.” Groot protests that there are doors here, but eventually acquiesces.
○ The party follows Thord down the hall and he leads them through several corridors lit by torches in sconces. They pass by a couple of hallsuntil they reach an area choked with rubble.
○ Morfear asks about the other halls and doors. Thord says, “not a way up, igit.”
○ Thord asks, “do ye want to try to get down?” Ari says, “well we just don’t want to be here”, to which Thord responds with, “then ye should just leave.”
○ Ari says, “we would like to get up and if we have to go down to get up…” Thord interrupts with, “that was the only way up. Looks like he destroyed it because you guys are igits.”
○ Groot asks if they can go outside and climb up to the next floor somehow. Thord says, “there’s prob’ly a secret door up there I just don’ know where it is.”
○ The group stops for a moment to discuss what the best plan of attack is. (It is remembered that they want to find the necromancers because they believe they have the items of power already found and they wish to either destroy the items or steal them from them. They also remember the necromancers are still actively searching for something in the halls of Ironhold. This was all summarized from Thord a couple of sessions previously.) The result of this discussion was to ask Thord to find them a way down to the lower level.
○ Ari asks Thord if the necromancers have been down with the goblins since the collapse. Thord says he is sure they have talked to each other in the past, but probably not since the collapse.
○ Ari asks if there are any unexplored areas of this floor and Thord looks at him quizzically as he says, “what ya mean, we leave here. It’s well explored.” That answer seems to satisfy Ari. They look around for a moment before Ari says, “lets head down.”
○ Thord heads back the way they had already come. As they head down the hall Ari tries to pay close attention to the way they are heading.
○ They head back past the hall in to the room where they fought the necromancer and keep heading south until they reach a crossway hall. Thord turns left (heading east) and starts walking down a long hall.
○ As they head past a hall to the north which ends after ten feet in a door, they notice a hunched creature in front of the marble door. The creature is clearly undead and it raises its rusty sword and glares at them with hate filled eyes before it shambles forward to fight them.
○ The undead creature summons more of its brethren and they rise of the floor of the hallway over and over again. It is a tough battle, but our heroes prevail.
○ Ari quickly searches the now still corpse. He finds some rusty plate armor and shield, a rusty longsword, and an iron key.
○ Groot asks Thord what that was and Thord responds with, “I don’ know. That’s new since I left, but that’s the door to the king’s chamber.”
○ Ari says, “the dwarven king?” Thord nods and says, “ya. King Korin.” Ari turns to the party and says “the king may be in danger.”
○ Morfear asks if this is the one Thord wants them to get rid of. Thord shakes his head no and says, “no, that’s Harglevargle. It’s not hard to remember Harglevargle, c’mon.”
○ Ari says, “let’s open the door and check on the king,” and Groot tries to open the door and finds it locked.
○ Ari unlocks the door and they head in. Inside they find furnishings fit for a dwarven king. They see a bed, a trunk, a table, two matching wardrobes, a cushioned chair, and a polished desk with matching stool. On the far wall is an impressive dwarven greataxe mounted above the desk.
○ Walking in a circle in the middle of the room is a gaunt dwarf dressed in cob-web covered robes that have long since gone out of style. Numerous rings adorn his knob-knuckled fingers and a weighty amulet shaped like a treasure chest hangs from a chain around his neck. He is mumbling something to himself.
○ Ari says, “your highness,” and the dwarf ignores him and continues to pace about the room.
○ They all pile in to the room and close the door, locking it in place. Groot takes a spot by the door and sits down watching the dwarf.
○ Morfear heads over to the king and stands in front of him. Seeing Morfear, the dwarf stops in bewilderment and says, “oh, uh, hello, hello. Who are you? Why are you in my chambers?”
○ Morfear says, “I am Morfear. Why are you in here?” The king responds with, “this is where I live,” while Morfear continues with, “it looks like you haven’t left here in a while.”
○ Korin says, “I’ve been…” He looks confused. “What did you ask again?” Morfear repeats the question and adds, “are you stuck here?”
○ Korin ignores the question and finally sees everyone for the first time. “Please, please rest here and take your time. Enjoy the hospitality of my kingdom.”
○ Morfear says, “when was the last time you shaved and bathed?” Korin responds with, “Why would I shave this wonderful beard. A king should have a thick, weighty beard.”
○ Ari says, “of what kingdom,” and Korin responds, “of Ironhold, of course.”
○ Ari responds with, “but it seems you are trapped in here?” Korin looks puzzled as he says, “I am not trapped in here.” Ari points to the door and says, “there was an undead minion outside your door.” Korin shakes his head and says, “no there wasn’t. There is no undead in Ironhold. I don’t know what you speak of.”
○ Morfear asks about the amulet around his neck. Korin cocks his head and says, “amulet?” He puts his hands over the amulet and says, “you are not worthy to see my amulet. Back off and sit,” he says with a more regal bearing. “Kiss my ring in fealty or face my guards.”
○ Morfear heads over to the chair and sits down as Korin goes back to his pacing and mumbling.
○ After about ten minutes of watching him, Ari steps in front of him. He jerks to a stop, looks up, and says, “what, what, what?”
○ Ari asks, “are you still aware you have guests, your highness?”
○ Korin looks around and shouts, “guests, tonight we dine on basilisks eggs, for tomorrow we send the Worldwound devils back to hell!!”
○ All of the heroes look at one another confused. Ari turns to them and says, “I am out of ideas. Priest, do you want to try?”
○ Groot turns to Thord and asks, “when was the last time this guy left here?” Thord thinks on it for a bit while Morfear attempts to discern if the amulet is magical. He determines the amulet has some kind of transformation magic on it.
○ Thord says, “well, ever’one thinks he’s possessed by the spirit of a neckermancer, so probly not fer awhile. He’s been kinda under house guard fer his own safety. Although it wasn’t a wight when I left. It was a dwarf and a goblin. And an ogre I think at one point.”
○ Groot asks if the amount of time he’s had the amulet corresponds with how long he has been possessed. Thord thinks on it for a bit and says, “nope.”
○ "How long has he had the amulet, " Groot asks. “He’s had it as long as I’ve known him,” Thord says.
○ Ari looks around the room for a bit to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. He looks around the furniture, under the carpet, in the wardrobes and founds nothing out of place.
○ Ari turns to the king and says, “can you show us your kingdom, your highness? We are traders thinking of trading with Ironhold.”
○ Korin stops, shakes his head, and looks around. He stares at each of the heroes before saying, “who are you and what are you doing in my chambers?”
○ Groot says, “we are the agents of Ari.” Ari groans and says, “We are here to see your kingdom, your highness. There was a undead guard outside and when we came in your were confused.”
○ Korin ponders for a moment before he looks at Thord and says, “Thord go check the door please.” As Thord heads over the door, Korin looks at Ari and asks, “why are you here?”
○ Ari tells the king about tracking down a magical item which the necromancers are after. He then mentions a bit of their back story. The king listens intently and focused the entire time. Ari concludes by mentioning they wish to take the magical item from this place and destroy it.
○ Korin look at Ari and shakes his head, “You and the necromancers always want things that are not yours.”
○ Ari says, “we will be happy to leave it with someone else who would not use it for evil,” while Groot says, “we’d leave it with you if we knew you could keep it safe.”
○ Ari asks, “do you know of this object or legend of these objects?” Korin stares at him while he says, “I don’t know anything about objects, but these stupid necromancers want to take something that belongs to us. They will not get to have it. I have hidden the item they need.”
○ Ari says, “well good. You were in some state of confusion and there was a necromancer guard outside.”
○ “Yes, that is because one of the necromancers continues to try to find out where I’ve hidden the item, but I am too crafty for him. I am king of the dwarves after all,” Korin says with a wry chuckle.
○ Ari cocks his head and says, “so you pretend to be confused? Because there is quite a difference between now and five minutes ago.”
○ Korin kind of loses focus for a moment and then looks at Mari and says, “where is my queen? I wish to mate with her.”
○ Ari says, “do you mean Mamma Booga?” Korin looks aghast and says, “Mamma Booga? I asked for my queen. Where’s my queen? It is time for us to make more heirs.”
○ Morfear asks, “what does she look like? Maybe I can go find her. Is she green?”
○ Morfear attempts to examine the king to see if this malady is some kind of affliction which can be cured via magic.
○ As he is doing the examination, Korin exclaims, “I can’t attend the banquet in this nightgown! Von, you spineless weasel, where are my clothes?” Morfear responds with, “they’re in your closet. We’ll get them for you in a second.”
○ Meanwhile, Ari starts looking over the desk and looks through the papers on it. Most of the papers are written in dwarvish in a hand that is quite messy and haphazard. There is one sheet which is very meticulously printed in long hand. Ari takes that sheet.
○ Morfear concludes his examination and finds nothing magical about his malady. He comes by his insanity naturally.
○ Morfear walks over to Thord and tells him the king has a form of Alzheimer’s disease which means he is lost in his memories. He says the king is not really fit to lead in this state. Thord says, “he’s fine. There’s nothin’ wrong wit’ him. I don’t know wat’ yer talkin’ about. We’ll get the neckermancer spirit out of him and be all good.”
○ When he hears the word necromancer, Korin looks up and says, “a necromancer once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti!” and he continues to pace and mumble.
○ Ari shows Morfear the document. Morfear determines it to be a document penned by Korin when it seems like he was lucid. It mentions him hiding it “where they will never find it because the owls are not what they seem.”
○ They ponder this passage for a moment and then Ari says to Korin, “your highness, I’ve heard tales of the beautiful owls of your caverns. Do they really exist?” Korin looks at him and says, “pardon?” Ari asks the question again. Korin says, “owls? Owls in the caverns? No, we have cave rats. Cave rats, tasty, tasty cave rats.” He starts to sing a little song for a short moment while Ari says, “but do they feed owls? Owls eat rats.” Korin continues to pace and mumble again.
○ Morfear attempts to remove the amulet from Korin. Korin tries to fight off Morfear, but he is quite weak and old. Morfear backs off as Korin pushes him.
○ Ari searches the rest of the desk where finds a few more pages written in the “lucid hand” of Korin stuck in the back between the two drawers.
○ These papers detail more about when the necromancers first arrived. Some of the discussions the necromancers have had with Korin such as where Derwin’s hammer can be found. There is a mention about an altar in the altar room. The last thing they read is about the magic of the altar room stopping them anyway.
○ The papers written in the other hand are the ravings of a mad man.
○ Groot heads over to the safe in the wall. Just as he gets there, Korin stops and stares up at the greataxe. He says, “I slew Death with my greataxe. I shall not miss his hollow face.” He starts to cry.
○ Mari looks at the axe and determines it is magical, but it is quite faint and necromantic. The inscription on the blade says, “Vigil Keeper”
○ Morfear takes down the axe and looks it over.
○ Ari heads over to the safe with Groot. Ari says, “I thought I heard something in there,” to Korin. “Your wife may be in their…” Korin continues to pace and mumble.
○ They look it over and see it is made of iron and is about three feet square. There is a large slot in the center that might fit a large coin.
○ Morfear asks Eran to look over the safe and open it. Eran studies it for about ten minutes before turning back and saying, “I have no idea how to open this safe. There’s no lock to pick.”
○ Mari puts a copper coin in the slot. They here it clink around and nothing else happens.
○ They notice the slot is much thicker and longer than the copper coin. Groot looks through his man-purse and doesn’t find anything that would fit.
○ Ari tries the key, but it doesn’t fit either.
○ Morfear suggests searching the king for a way to open the safe. Ari is afraid to do that in case he becomes lucid again. Mari suggests she might be able to search him (wink, wink).
○ Mari sidles up to Korin and starts a rather strange dance around him. Meanwhile, Morfear heads out of the room with the greataxe. After a few moments, he focusses on her, pushes her away, and says, “woman, what are you doing? That is now how you act with the king.”
○ Mari says, “I’m your concubine.” Korin shakes his head and says, “you are no such thing. I have no knowledge who you are other than being part of this sorry, sorry group.”
○ Mari backs off as Korin says, “what are you still doing here? I thought you had left by now.”
○ Morfear re-enters the room carrying the axe. Ari shushes Morfear and motions him back.
○ Groot looks around to see if anything in the room changed when the king became lucid. Unfortunately, he was distracted by Mari’s concubine dance.
○ Over the near the door (and out of the way), Morfear hears movement coming from down the hall.
○ Morfear mentions what he hears and the group quickly pulls all of the corpses from their battle with the wight in to the room and then close and lock the door.
○ As they pull the first of the corpses in to the room Korin asks, “what are you doing?” Groot and Ari says almost simultaneously, “we’re clearing the halls.”
○ Morfear explains they killed all these people out there. Korin suggests that if they don’t find a guard, the will come in to the room. Mari agrees.
○ Morfear asks why and Korin says as if to an idiot, “because there is always someone guarding the door.” Morfear again asks why?
○ Korin says, “because they think I know where this hammer is.” Ari says, “but you do know where the hammer is,” and Korin agrees with him.
○ Mari says, “where is it?” Korin responds, “sorry, I don’t know who you are and I don’t wish to give you the secrets of the dwarves.”
○ Ari points out that Morfear is a dwarf. Korin says, “not a dwarf that I know of. He looks like one of those, hill dwarves from the west.”
○ Morfear asks if they should post a guard. The group discusses this for a moment before deciding to just chance it without a guard and lock the door.
○ Korin is quite combative to them while they try to convince him they are on his side. Suddenly, he says, “necromancers? What necromancers? There are no necromancers here. I killed them, remember? I ate their liver with fava beans and Chianti.”
○ As Mari searches the king, they hear the heavy breathing of several creatures head past the door. A they head past they hear (in goblin), “hey wasn’t there supposed to be someone watching that door?” Another voice says, “I don’t know. Are you going to go ask the necromancers.” “No, are you” “No, no, no. Keep moving.”
○ The creatures continue to move away as Ari slowly opens the door and looks down the hall.
○ Mari is unable to find anything on the king other than the amulet, but she thinks the amulet might be openable.
○ Morfear goes up to the king and says, “here’s your axe.” Korin looks it over and says, “ah is this the axe I slew death with?” Morfear says, “yes” as Mari tries to get the amulet. “He has a very hollow face,” Korin says.
○ Eran takes the amulet as Morfear distracts him. Mari asks, “can you tell us the tale of killing death?” Korin looks wistful and says, “he didn’t have a tail, you see. He was all bones and a big black cloak and then I ate his liver.” Mari asks, “how did he have a liver?” “Cause he had fava beans. And I used his skull as cup to drink my Chianti.” He pauses for a moment and then asks, “by the way, have you seen my wife? It is time to have more kids.”
○ Mari says, “she was going to go check on the hammer.” Korin smiles evilly and says, “the hammer? Is that what they call it nowadays? Well no one has a bigger hammer than me!” He winks. “I am king after all.”
○ Ari looks down the hall and sees about a half dozen goblins marching down the hall away from the chamber.
○ He heads back to the room and finds they have the amulet. Eran is able to pop open the amulet and inside are three iron coins.
○ Groot takes an iron coin and puts it in the slot. After several mechanical clicks, they hear a hiss as the safe slides out and to the side. Inside he finds a cask with a spigot, a platinum flagon, and a stoppered flask.
○ Looking at the flagon, they notice it has the symbol of an owl clutching two battleaxes in its talons.
○ Seeing this, Morfear says, “The Owl is not what it seems.” Korin turns and says, “where is my amulet?” He starts to look everywhere. Groot throws the amulet on the bed and Korin finds it a little bit later. “Oh, I thought I had lost this,” he exclaims with relief.
○ He looks it over and then says, “The Owls are not what they seem.” He sets the amulet on the floor and it expands to the size of two feet by two feet by three feet. Korin looks for a moment and then starts pacing and mumbling again.
○ Morfear opens the chest and inside he finds a cold-forged iron warhammer. He removes it from the chest and it seems rather light for being made of iron, and it seems magical.
○ As they discuss the hammer, they hear, “drop that right now!” Korin stares at them with hard eyes. “That is not for you.” He rushes up and tries to hit it from Morfear’s hand. He misses and trips.
○ “No, you are not allowed to have that. It is not for you,” Korin says. “It is for the dwarves. You will bring death and destruction to my clan.”
○ Morfear says, “how is that?” “You don’t know what the necromancers want it for, do you?” Morfear hems and haws before Korin says, “no, I can see it in your eyes. You really have no clue.” Korin stares at them each in turn. “Do you really know what they are after?”
○ Ari whispers, “the power of death.”
○ Korin says, “it’s not the hammer they want. It’s what is in the altar. You people are dabbling in things you do not know. You are out of your depth.”
○ Ari says, “well then explain it to us and then we can help.”
○ “There is nothing you can do to help and there is nothing I can do to help you. It is quite obvious that I am not always of my faculties.”
○ “Well then help us now,” Ari implores. Korin says, “I don’t trust you.” Thord chimes in with, “I agree with the King. They already knocked down a part of the halls.”
○ Ari tries to convince Korin to help them to no avail.
○ The group discusses how to get the hammer to the altar when there is a knock at the door.
○ They hear a raspy voice say, “Oh Korin, are you still in there?”
○ Morfear quickly puts the warhammer in the chest while the voice says, “why has my summoned creature gone missing?”
○ Mari says the magic phrase and the chest goes small again.
○ They give the amulet to Korin and close the safe and then position themselves around the room.
○ The door opens and a hooded figure stands in the door. Bloody red hands reach up and push the hood back revealing a skull thick with red blood and patches of skin growing on it.
○ Korin looks at the cadaver man and says, “Arvik, good to see you again.”
○ Arvik rasps, “I heard voices, do you have guests?”
○ Groot comes out and says, “I am Groot.” “Ah, here are your guests.” Groot says, “we meet again.” Arvik tilts his head and says in his raspy voice, “I don’t believe I have had the pleasure.”
○ “Sorry, you look like somebody I had met before,” Groot says.
○ Ari says, “we have things to discuss with you.” “Oh really?” comes the rasp. “You left so quickly after the hanging, or perhaps that was one of your minions. Please do come in.”
○ Arvik makes a sound like dry heaving which takes the group a moment to realize he is chuckling. “My, uh, transformation has robbed me of some of my memories.”
○ “We’re just adventurers who knew you in another life,” Ari says with a resigned tone.
○ “Hmmm….. I might have you to thank for my transformation. Are you saying you killed me?”
○ Groot says, “uh no.” While Morfear says, “someone else must have killed you.”
○ Ari explains, “we stopped you. Nothing else.” “If you let us go, we won’t have to help you through another transformation.”
○ “Let you go, why would I let you go? There is so much you can tell me before I add you to my army.”
○ Ari says," You seek to bring hell to earth. We will stand against you."
○ Arvik says a Word and Ari curls up in a ball from the pain in his head, a small trickle of blood flowing from his nose.
○ Morfear tries to convince Arvik that Korin has given them the as a town in a swamp. Arvik ponders this information for a moment and asks what was buried in the swamp. Ari continues to tell Morfear to be quiet, but Morfear insists he wants to get out of this alive. Arvik says, “You will be alive of a sort.”
○ As Ari stands back up, he vaults past Morfear and round two with Arvik Zaltos begins…